At Micklefield CE Primary School we believe all children have the right to receive a quality, well-rounded education that raises aspiration and focuses on high expectation. We seek to deliver a curriculum which inspires and challenges our children to become confident and competent in their own abilities and which enables them to move forward in life and learning.
At Micklefield we aim to provide a curriculum that is engaging, balanced and relevant. While emphasis is placed on children learning core skills of English and Mathematics, we also place great value on developing the ‘whole child’ and ensure all subjects within the curriculum are equally valued.
We know developing a positive learning experience in the Early Years is crucial and while following the Early Years Foundation Stage Guidance we strive to create a safe and happy environment, which provides motivating and challenging learning experiences that enable the children to become confident and independent learners. We aim to foster a sense of enquiry and a real thirst for learning which takes place in both indoor and outdoor environments. We are committed to play-based, active learning and know that rich memorable first hand contexts for learning inspire children.
In KS1 and KS2 we use the National Curriculum and plan inspiring and exciting themes to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding of all subjects. Our aim is to use cross curricular opportunities and first hand experiences to spark exciting and creative learning that will encompass the foundation subjects, alongside English, Mathematics, RE and Science.
We promote positive emotional health and well-being to help children develop social and emotional skills throughout all subjects and our PSHE curriculum. As a church school, we support children’s spiritual needs with our caring Christian ethos and core Christian values. In our school we live out these values alongside the British Values to enable our children to make informed choices and become respectful individuals.
Our school curriculum is enhanced by educational visits and visitors, sporting activities and musical opportunities. Lunch time and after school clubs led by staff, children and outside coaches further enhance our curriculum offer.
Through our curriculum offer we aim to:
- Embed our core Christian values, building supportive relationships that encourage mutual respect.
- Promote excitement in learning that lasts a lifetime.
- Develop relationships which enable our children to feel cherished, in order that they may flourish and live life in all its fullness.
- Ensure all children are valued as individuals, achieve and feel proud
- Enable our children to be happy, confident, resilient, successful and responsible members of society.
If you would like to know more about our curriculum please contact Miss Karen Wood, Headteacher.
Learning at Micklefield CE Primary School is inspiring and engaging with a curriculum planned to ignite a passion for learning which motivates children to achieve their best.
Our curriculum is broad, balanced and delivered through a creative thematic approach. We give careful consideration to our children’s experiences and needs when developing the curriculum.
Our curriculum intent is to:
- Ensure all our children feel safe, happy and valued as individuals and embed our core Christian Values of Hope, Faith and Love
- Have the highest expectations for what our children can achieve regardless of background and starting point
- Promote excitement in learning that lasts a lifetime
- Encourage our children to consistently try hard even when they encounter difficulties
- Place reading at the heart of the curriculum
- Help children receive valuable support at home by developing strong parent partnerships
- Create community links to enable children to have a better understanding of the world around them
- Give children opportunities to explore and appreciate different culture and beliefs through global learning experiences
- Prepare children for their next step in education and beyond
- Ensure that when our children leave Micklefield CE Primary School they are:
Respectful, Independent, Confident, Happy, Enthusiastic and Resilient – RICHER!
The National Curriculum is used to inform planning for all subjects.
The link to the Primary Framework can be found below.